Our Sunday Services
Our Sunday Services are held at The Spire at 10am
Location: 710 South Anderson Street, Tacoma, WA
Welcome to Unity of South Sound
At Unity of South Sound you will find a spiritual community that embraces and promotes a positive and intentional way of living. Spiritual seekers often say that finding Unity is like coming home. Door and hearts are open to everyone… we honor all people and respect all paths that lead to God.
Worship is an experience of celebration and connection. It is filled with music, inspiration, laughter and depth that will energize and empower you. Whether you're looking to connect with a few like-minded individuals or our larger community, there are activities and events available to support your connection.
We are an inspiring and inclusive spiritual community, exploring and expressing our highest potential and divine nature.
Present and centered in Divine Love, we celebrate a peaceful and awakened world.
What you can expect at our Sunday Services
- Minister Rev. Jeffrey Fowler delivers an inspirational, thought provoking, spiritual talk.
- Staff and volunteers conduct the service.
- Our Music Director schedules amazing musicians for each service.
- A volunteer Platform Assistant opens the service and highlights upcoming events.
- Prayer Chaplains "pray us in."
- An individual reads an inspirational message.
- Members of the Music Celebration Team lead two lively congregational songs.
- Visitors are welcomed.
- Volunteer Teams are recognized and honored regularly.
- The Children and Youth join us at the end of each service and are welcomed and blessed.
- The Hospitality Team offers rerfreshments after service.
The History of the Unity Movement
The Unity movement was founded by Charles and Myrtle Fillmore in 1889 as a healing ministry based on the power of prayer and the power of our thoughts to create our own experience of reality. The Fillmores regarded Jesus as the great example rather than the great exception; believed and applied the power of affirmative prayer; interpreted the Bible metaphysically; and taught that God is present within all of us.
Our world headquarters at Unity Village, Missouri, provides a tranquil atmosphere for quiet meditation and a place for all people, regardless of faith or nationality, to worship. To learn more visit www.unity.org
Charles and Myrtle Fillmore
Unity Gothic, 2011. Brush and ink drawing with digital color; 26.2" x 36".
Courtesy of the artist Anita Landree, member U.S.S.
Basic Unity Principles
- GOD IS - There is one power and one presence - God. God is the source and creator of all. There is no other enduring power; God is good and present everywhere.
- I AM - I Am/We are spiritual beings, created in God’s image and likeness. The spirit of God lives within each person; therefore, all people are inherently good.
- THINK IT - Thoughts held in mind produce after their kind. We create our life experiences through our way of thinking.
- PRAY IT - There is power in affirmative prayer, which we believe increases our awareness of God. Prayer is a conscious conditioner that attunes and aligns our thoughts with the Mind, truth and reality of God in all things.
- LIVE IT - Knowledge of these spiritual principles is not enough. We must live them and practice them to continually evolve to newer levels of understanding and spiritual mastery.
Unity of South Sound History
Unity of South Sound has evolved over forty years time under various names and leaders. It was first incorporated in Burien as Unity Church of Christianity in October 1972. Congregants met in the Veterans Hall and the YMCA under the ministry of Rev. Michael Murphy until moving to a large house in Federal Way which was then renovated.
Sunday services were held there until 1996 when it was sold with the intention of building on newly purchased property. In the meantime, Rainier View School (Federal Way) became the place of worship, with office and classroom space rented nearby.
However, the potential building site was deemed unusable because of wetland designations and drainage issues in 2000, so it was sold. In January 2001, Unity moved to a new home in a large leased space in Edgewood, where it remained until April, 2012.
Other ministers followed Rev. Murphy: Les McClelland, Dick Everetts, Tom Coates, Carl Stouffer, interim minister Jim Peterson, Steve Colladay, and Stephen Towles.
Rev. Darlene Strickland came to Unity of Edgewood August, 2010. Our church moved once again and became Unity of South Sound in April 2012 at beautiful Knutzen Family Theatre, Dumas Bay, Federal Way. Rev. Darlene remained with us until November, 2014. We welcomed Rev. Michael Moran as Interim Minister for two months. Many guest speakers and some minister candidates presented Sunday services.
Our minister Rev. Jeffrey Fowler in September, 2015. In less than a year, Rev. Jeffrey and the entire congregation "moved" to The Spire at 710 South Anderson St., Tacoma.
Sunday Services, Church Office, meetings, classes, Youth and Family events are all held at The Spire, unless otherwise noted.
The Spire - 710 South Anderson Street, Tacoma, WA