Minutes for August 5th, 2021

UNITY OF SOUTH SOUND BOARD OF TRUSTEES MEETING

Minutes for August 5, 2021

 

Opening Prayer – The monthly meeting of the Unity of South Sound (USS) Board started at 6:35 PM (online via Zoom) with an opening prayer by Rev. Denese.
Board of Trustee (BOT) members Ruth Rogers, David Sandall-Hill, Michele Millsap, Nancy Jackson, and Rev. Denese Shellink were in attendance. Janine Hall and Lisa Hagen were absent. We have a quorum.
Check In – Board members checked in with one another. 
 
MONTHLY REPORTS – calling out exceptions/concerns only
·       Approval of agenda
·       Approval of Secretary’s Report / Board Minutes – Nancy (substituted for Michele for July meeting) submitted July minutes by email and they were approved by email.
·       Counting Tithes & Check Signing – David will be in charge of organizing the sign ups. August signups:
o   8/08: David and Nancy
o   8/15: Ruth and Nancy
o   8/22: David and Nancy
o   8/29: Ruth and Nancy
·       Tithe Report – no tithe report this month as we are transitioning to reviewing the month end financials at the 2nd meeting after month end to allow for the appropriate time to produce and review financials properly. So, instead of reporting July at this August 5th meeting, we will report July at September’s meeting.
·       Treasurer’s Report – no treasurer’s report this month as we are transitioning to reviewing the month end financials at the 2nd meeting after month end to allow for the appropriate time to produce and review financials properly.
·       Minister’s report – see attached.
·       Social Media Report – see attached.
 
UPDATES / OLD BUSINESS
·       Ministerial Search Committee – had a meeting on Monday with Barbara Bauml (chairperson), Carl Andrews, Lynda Ash, Wendy Valentine, John Resing, and Ruth Rogers (Board Rep). Introductions were made, UWM Code of Ethics will be signed, and intentions were set. Documents were sent out after the meeting, including documents about hiring ministers. Questions that came up: What is the vetting process for UWM? Check references? Rev. Denese suggested one question you can ask a prior church if they are not very forthcoming: “If you had the opportunity, would you rehire this person?” Next meeting will include creating questions, discussing the calendar, reviewing interested ministers. Barbara would love to have feedback from Rev. Denese.
·       Reopening of Sunday Services – David reported there were some learning and growth opportunities, but everything went exceptionally well for our first Sunday back. 52 people attended in person. Feedback David has received is that people are happy that they have the options to attend in person or online live. The banner outside the church will be updated with “All are Welcome” with the rainbow flag. Rev. Denese commented that we are grateful that the landlords made sure the trash was cleaned up out front. We do need a volunteer to step up to be the team lead for the Sunday flower arrangements. Rev. Denese suggested we try to gather a Sunday service worship team, with one person as a lead coordinator. She will work with Heidi on establishing roles and responsibilities of a Sunday Coordinator.
 
NEW BUSINESS
·       No new business
 
OLD BUSINESS
·       Rental contract on building – from separate report from Lisa: The proposal from Jon Rake with Tacoma Musical Playhouse is to extend our lease one year under the same terms, which is exactly what we requested. Lisa does have some concerns that are limited to technical language in the addendum. She proposed an amendment to the addendum. A Board member will need to sign, and Rev. Denese recommends the President needs to sign (or Treasurer).
 
Action Items:
·       Rev. Denese will:
o   Discuss with Heidi:
§  Need to calendar a June 2022 reminder to the Board about the 8/14/2022 church picnic.
§  What is the procedure to get the minutes promptly posted on the website?
§  Request to make sure a roaming microphone will be available for the Community Gatherings
§  What is the exact task list and procedures for things that need to happen prior to Sunday services?
o   Email the Working Agreement to the Board.
o   Review recording of the Minister Search Committee’s meeting and give feedback.
·       Michele and Rev. Denese will receive training on Mail Chimp from Jenny.
·       David, Nancy, and Janine will prepare for October Board member live where Nancy and Jeanine will be introduced via an interview style FB live.
·       David will:
o   Work on getting the banner outside the church updated. He will try to let us know the options in a week or so.
o   David will send to Rev. Denese a request to put into the e-blast that we need a volunteer to step up to be the team lead for the Sunday flower arrangements.
·       Ruth will sign the Rental Contract and give to Heidi for processing.
Closing PrayerRev. Denese closed the meeting with a prayer and the meeting ended at 8:45pm. 
Next Month’s Board Meeting is September 2, 2021
 
Respectfully submitted by Michele Millsap, Secretary
August 5, 2021