UNITY OF SOUTH SOUND BOARD OF TRUSTEES’ MEETING
Minutes for January 6, 2022
Opening Prayer – The monthly meeting of the Unity of South Sound (USS) Board started at 6:30 PM (online via Zoom) with an opening prayer by Rev. Denese.
Board of Trustee (BOT) members: Michele Zwosta, David Sandall-Hill, Lisa Hagen, Nancy Jackson, Sheena Gulliver, Misty Carman and Rev. Denese Schellink were in attendance. We have a quorum.
Check In – Board members checked in with one another.
MONTHLY REPORTS – calling out exceptions/concerns only
● Approval of agenda
● Approval of Secretary’s Report / Board Minutes – Nancy submitted the December minutes by email, and they were approved by email.
● Counting Tithes & Check Signing – David will be in charge of organizing the sign ups. January sign ups:
○ 01/09: David - Michele
○ 01/16: Lisa - Misty
○ 01/23: Lisa - Misty
○ 01/30: David - Michele
● Tithe Report –See attached: Lisa submitted the December tithe report by Email. Approval: one abstained, the remaining members approved.
● Treasurer’s Report – see attached.
Lisa gave a budget proposal summary, accepted by unanimous vote by Board, and will be brought forward at the Annual Mtg. February 20th, 2:00 pm, by zoom.
The Treasurer's Report was accepted by unanimous vote of the Board. ● Minister’s report – see attached.
Next Leadership Development Meeting will be January 22, and February19. Denese suggested that we start Foundations Of Compassionate Communication on Saturdays, March 12th through April 9th, a five week course, from 1:00 to 3:00. Unanimous vote by the Board to make the change.
● Social Media Report – see attached.
UPDATES ON OLD BUSINESS
● Update on Minister Search
David Sandall-Hill will contact Barbra Bauml and get the process started. This will include looking at the Center for Spiritual Living candidates. There was discussion on David attending the Annual Summit 2022, January 24th - 26th on zoom. Densese suggested this could be a good source to reach out for ministers.
● Fundraiser – It was decided not to have an auction this year, due to Covid. The consensus of the Board was to have a one time “Call to Action” donation campaign, running from November 7 – 30, 2021. It was extended until December 30th with a goal to raise $35,000.00. The fundraiser raised $15,560.00, we fell short of our goal, but did better by $3,320.00 from last year.
It was discussed to put together a Fundraiser Committee to come up with ideas and suggestions for fundraising events to meet our 2022 goals .
● 2022 Budget Discussion: The budget will be brought forward and explained at our next Annual Meeting, to be held February 20th at 2:00 by zoom. ● Alaska FCU and Edward Jones account updates: Michele will get the proper signers on and off accounts.
● Board Nominations - Wendy Valentine and Robin O’Day are taking lead with Lisa Hagen as Board representative. We have 3 positions opening up, 2 positions 3 years and 1 position 2 years.1 application has been sent out.
● Rev. Denese’s Contract - Motion by Michele Zwosta, seconded by David Sandall-Hill, to renew Rev. Denese’s contract for 6 months to review in 4 months. Vote by the Board was unanimous. Motion in keeping with the previous minister’s contract raise, it was decided to raise Denese’s check starting with January. Motion made by Michele Zwosta and seconded by David Sandall-Hll, all Board Members approved.
● Tithes Committee Discussion - David will be replacing Lisa as the Board liaison with the Tithe Committee and he will have a zoom meeting with the Tithe Committee and bring back information on tithe changes.
● Omicron - Sheena will check for State updates and report back to the Board. Misty will make some posters with current information.
● Sheena will check for State updates and inform the Board.
● David To have zoom mtg. with the Tithe Committee and report back info at the next Board Meeting.
● David will contact Barbara Bamul and get the Minister Search Committee up and running.
● Misty will see that posters are made reflecting current guidelines of Omicron. ● Lisa will see Michele gets information on Edward Jones before her term is up.
Closing Prayer – David closed the meeting with a prayer and the meeting ended at 9:07:pm.
Next Month’s Board Meeting is February 3rd 2022 at 6:30 pm
Respectfully submitted by Nancy Jackson, Secretary
Minister’s Board Report ,
Rev Denese Schellink for Unity of South Sound
What is leadership: “Leadership is energizing a community of people toward their own transformation in order to accomplish a shared mission in the face of a changing world.” By Tod Bolsinger “Canoeing the Mountain”
Consideration: Attached is a new year Proposal for 6 months.
Monthly Sunday Community Gathering:
Like a Town Hall Meeting: Meet with community, Introduce tenets of Transitional Ministry and question and answer exploration. Update congregation on Search Team progress. The last one was December 19th. Next one January 23rd
Compassionate Communication Practice:
Fridays, 4:00 – 6:00 pm on 2nd & 4th of the month.
Introduced Compassionate Connections – how to be the presence of all is well and how to deal effectively with conflict and stress situations. This practice really supports Emotional Intelligence in self and others.
You may join for Free anytime if you desire with promocode GUESTS. See my website: https://www.deneseschellink.com/compassionate-communication-nvc
Connections and training once per month on Zoom calls. Next January 22: 10:00 – 1:00 pm. Then February 19th, 10 – 1.
Quantum Living Course: https://www.deneseschellink.com/quantum-living
The cost to everyone is $125, but all leaders and staff get $75. Promocode: SCHOLARSHIP. Repeat for cost of $35, RETURNEE.
Sunday White Stone Service - January 2
“The Gifts of Winter” begins January 9 – February 6th. No study groups. Self guided. No book.
“The Untethered Soul” 7 week series begins February 20th – April 3rd. In home or ZOOM book study groups included.
January 16 & 30
“How to Lead when you don’t know where youre going, by Susan Beaumont https://www.amazon.com/Lead-When-Where-Youre-Going-ebook/dp/B07V99ZQBN/r...
“The 15 Commitments of Conscious Leadership”
View the Video “Location/Location/Location: https://conscious.is/video/locating-yourself-a-key-to-conscious-leadership
Short Book review: https://blog.12min.com/the-15-commitments-of-conscious-leadership-summar...
The Drama Triangle Video: https://conscious.is/video/understanding-the-drama-triangle-vs-presence
Nonviolent Communication, by Marshall Rosenberg and “Practical Spirituality: The spiritual basis of Nonviolent Communication” by Marshall Rosenberg. https://www.amazon.com/s?k=spirituality%2C+marshall+rosenberg&ref=nb_sb_...
Brene Brown, “Dare to Lead” and Braving the Wilderness, Daring Greatly. (all her books are great)